Friday, August 6, 2010

Transcontinental Adventure

In early July, I sent 3 boxes west and soon hit the road myself. With Malibu packed comfortably full and about 2,500 miles of road ahead, I was ready for some transcontinental adventure...

  • Thursday: Alexandria, VA to Newark, NJ (4 hours) - Picked up Mom from the airport, then drove to Cortland, NY (4 hours)
Leaving around 1:30 pm, I was about an hour behind my desired departure time. I had my third and final box to mail in the front seat, and I decided to go to the Arlington/Pentagon City post office. That way I had one last goodbye to my favorite neighborhoods. I admittedly cried as I drove along the Potomac with DC across the river and my favorite running trail along side George Washington Parkway. I am grateful for the memories and inspirations that came in that neighborhood and along that trail. Running, cycling, and walking, with friend and solo, in the sun, rain and snow, long distances and short. No regrets, only gratitude.

Day-end Total: 8.0 hrs
    Goodbye Manhattan (from a distance)
  • Friday: Cortland, NY to Palmyra, NY (2 hours) - Hill Cumorah, Palmyra Temple, Sacred Grove and Smith Farm, and the evening pageant.
  • Then to W. Henrietta, NY (45 min)
Day-end Total: 2.75 hrs

Smith Family Farmhouse
Sacred Grove (rainy day)
  • Saturday: W. Henrietta, NY to Niagara Falls (2 hours) - Maid of the Mist



then to Kirtland, OH (3 hrs) - N.K. Whitney Store and Kirtland Temple
Kirtland to Toledo, OH (2:30 hrs)

Day-end Total: 7.5 hrs
This was the schoolhouse for children in Kirtland!
We arrived at the church visitor's center just in time to join a group for a tour of the store!
(Was the) Kirtland Temple
  • Sunday: Toledo, OH to DesMoines, IA (9:30 hrs) - dinner with Shelley and Nick Thompson
  • Then Des Moines, IA to Omaha, NE (2 hrs)
Day-end Total: 11.5 hrs
Beautiful Fields in Iowa
Iowa State Capitol (vote #2 most beautiful in the nation!)
  • Monday: Omaha, NE to Rock Springs, WY (11:30 hrs) - IA/NE bridge run, Winter Quarters Temple, Visitor Center and Cemetery
Day-end Total: 11.5 hrs

Joseph Hyrum Skeen (2 yrs old) was buried in this cemetery
Winter Quarters, NE Temple
  • Tuesday: Rock Springs, WY to Pleasant Grove, UT (3.5 hrs)
Day-end Total: 3.5 hrs
Welcome to the west!
Welcome to Utah

TOTAL Driving Hours: 44.75 hours = great Mom time

2 comments:

  1. We miss you! I'm glad you had such a good trip with your mom! (I thought it was exciting to see the picture of Joseph Hyrum Skeen's name...I have a picture of that as well from when JC and I drove across country one time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how much fun! I'm glad you got to see those wonderful church sites on your trek west. I'm so sad we left Utah right as you were arriving. Some day we'll catch up :)

    ReplyDelete