Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Simplify



They love integers... Given the number sentence, -3-(-1)-(-2)+(-6)-(-3)-(-3), in what way could you simplify the sentence so that you are only dealing with 2 terms?

For the past three weeks, my students have been working to improve their understanding of positive and negative integers and how to figure their sums, differences, products and quotients. While this may appear to be an elementary task, many are convinced otherwise. One of my latest strategies in bringing integers to life is by modeling a hideously clashing outfit to my classes, consisting of a brightly colored lava-lava from the Kiribati islands with a fall-colored silk scarf around my neck.

With little to no hesitation, I had my seventh grade female fashion experts confirm to me that the outfit looked terrible.. Why? "Because you don't match at all!"
My response... "Exactly. And how what kind of effect would this have on me if I wore this around friends or into a job interview?" The response...an astounding Negative.

Precisely... Integers with mismatched signs (a positive integer multiplied or divided by a negative integer or visa versa) result in a negative product or quotient.

While students continue to develop a more deep understanding of operations based around integers, there is greater and greater need for remediation with individual students. Feeling quite inadequate to meet each of their needs, application of principles taught in General Conference last weekend have become a great source of strength. So, I will share a few highlights of the many that I feel apply in these situations...
  • "Come what may, and love it..." (Elder Wirthlin) and "Opposition is necessary for the experience and progression that we are here for..." (Elder Cook) and "Make a 'COURAGEOUS DECISION'... to have an 'invincible summer' even in the middle of winter" (Pres. Uchtdorf).
Not every day will be roses; many will not. Keeping a sense of humor and seeking for an eternal perspective are two ways to still love the days and moments that are less rosy than others. Each day is filled with experience that we can choose to use as a building block or a brick on our shoulders. Why not build with it?
  • Zion is a people and a place... Dis unification is the antithesis of Zion (D. Todd Christofferson)
Collaboration with others with the purpose of building one another, aiming for the same and "right" goal in mind is a powerful and enabling source of strength to all individual involved as well as those who are the recipients of the improved service and skills learned.
  • Our evening prayers build upon and are a continuation of our morning prayers... (Elder Bednar)
Starting and ending the day in council with the Lord keeps perspective in order and helps to build a more lasting remembrance of who is the most valuable and true source of strength in all pursuits.

To remember the title of this post, "Simplify," I will end here. Simple.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Elder Bednar's talk as well. I'm so happy you invited me to your blog, now I can peak into your life and see what wonderful things you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I loved all of general conference. Thanks for simply summing up a few great points. You are an amazing teacher. Check out my blog on the marathon update...you have to see the pictures! Also, sorry I missed your call today. I was working. It may be a little late for you when I get off so I won't call, but you can call me back in the evenings. They are best cuz I'm not working. Miss you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni,

    I love your blog. Its so neat to hear about the happenings at work, how you motivate and teach these kids. Also, I loved your thoughts on conference. I miss you as well....life here is certainly not the same without you!

    ReplyDelete