Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cherry Blossom Festival Begins

Saturday was the opening day for the Cherry Blossom Festival in the District. Kari and I decided to seize the day and cycle into D.C. to watch the Kite Festival portion of the events. There was a mist/ slight drizzle the whole time, but many kites were still flown and the crowds were still great.
Watching the last few flying kites to stay in flight during the kite-flying-contest was pretty intense... "Red, White, and Blue" was the final winner though it had a tough match with "Mime" kite.

We went to the National Museum of American History afterward and saw an exhibit of Scurlock's photography and another long-term exhibit featuring America at War. Scurlock was a prominent Black photographer in the early 20th century who captured the on-goings of the African American population in the DC area at the time. He captured images of the joys of everyday life as well as monumental moments in history along with times of great turmoil, such as the D.C. riots that errupted with the assassination of MLK Jr. in 1968.

Spring is on its way! I love the blossums everywhere and the birds that are more frequently out along with the sun and warmer weather! I also love being able to run comfortably outside in just shorts and a t-shirt!

Kite-making update: coming soon... this weekend I nearly completed the creation of a tetrahedron kite (it's the triangular kite the I posted last week). I didn't rush to finish it when I saw that the rain (though light) was not letting up... it's more fragile than commercially made kites because of the paper materials that I am using. Stay tuned ;)

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful trees! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the wonder of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty. I would love to go to DC someday. Enjoy your spring. We got over a foot of snow today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having fun. What a pretty place. Miss you Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yokwe Likatu! Kwoj lukuun boup! Kwonaj etal nan Utah ke? Ilo April ke? Ba nan na bwe imaron in ba nan Menlove ro. Kejbarok wut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am staying tuned to see the kite creation. I'm glad you got to have some fun on spring break. It would have made it even better if you would have stopped to see us on your way through! I love love the cherry blossoms. I took Saida to the botanical gardens here because the website mentioned they had quite a few. I think we had more in our backyard in Maryland! Good luck this weekend. We are excited for you and look forward to some pictures. We will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete