
1. Something alarming...
Did you hear that inauguration day is coming up in a mere 10 days? We are being told to prepare as if there were to be a tornado coming through... From the Arlington County Alerts website...
Be Prepared – For Weather and Crowds
- Dress appropriately -- listen to weather forecasts.
- Wear warm, comfortable shoes because you will have to walk long distances and stand for long periods of time.
- Consider whether you can stand outside in large crowds for up to six hours.
- Be ready to walk long distances — especially in the District of Columbia — because some Metro stations and roads will be closed.
- Be prepared for extremely crowded buses, trains, roads and highways, and long delays to get where you’re going.
- Bring with you any medications that you need because there will be very long delays in getting to and from events.
- Be aware that it may be difficult to talk or send pictures from your cell phone, according to wireless companies. Send text messages instead of making calls when possible.
2. Something necessary...






Running along the Reflecting Pool this evening (between Lincoln memorial and the WWII Memorial), I noticed I was next to an extraordinary wall of Honey Buckets (Portable Toilets)! It was incredible! I have seen some pretty long lines of these outhouses, but never quite like this before... They are literally lining both sides of the reflecting pool, which is 2029 feet long (which, is just under 2/5 of a mile)!!!Here's the trivia inspired by this scene... There are about 3 gaps from 5 to 10 feet long separating sections of the toilets. Each section is tightly lined with toilets. How many outhouses would you estimate to be lining the Reflecting Pool? Closest estimate wins!
Use the pictures (above) I took by the pool to give you an idea of what you're estimating... some of the pics are actually really pretty from this time of day... hidden are the porter potties :)
3. Something beautiful...
The young night sky was so beautiful, and I got to run around the capitol building! (sadly, it was my first time back right next to it since this past summer)... so pretty! I love the buildings and monuments in DC!



Beautiful pictures! Are they from your phone or your camera? Can't wait to see all this stuff in person!! Hope you are feeling better!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the invite. This is going to be such a pleasure to share your wonderful adventures in D.C. Stacey has been wanting to get in touch with you so I will tell her the good news! Her e-mail is
ReplyDeletelove2bike30@msn.com
I know she would love to read this too!
I came here in the 9th grade with my parents and loved it. You are lucky to live near so much history and be able to share it with us! I esp. like the porta potty shot. Better they be over prepared!
ReplyDeleteWoops I forgot to post my guess. I'm bad at math so I'm just taking a shot in the dark....120 porta pottys?? Do I win?
ReplyDelete