Thursday, January 22, 2009

Historical Moments

So the awaited day, Jan. 20th of 2009, came with its crowds and all. The grand total on the number of outhouses was.... 5,000- whew! I admit, I gave up on counting them, even doing a running estimate as I quickly discovered that there were multiple layers on either side of the reflecting pool. Therefore, this information came from a written report on the inaugural accommodations.
Prerun PreparationThe bridge... Blocked off to Vehicles
Rather than cycling into the district, I ran in via Arlington Mem. Bridge with Randilyn. It was blocked off to everyone except pedestrians, which was pretty sweet. With about 4 layers and another wrapped around our waists for later use, we prepared for the low temps of the day. Honestly, the crowds were not as intense as I anticipated, but it was packed enough by the time we chose to arrive that we stayed near the Washington Monument rather than finding the long detour to make our way closer to the capitol... It would have potentially added on about 3 miles to an already lengthy run, considering the crowds.
Mega trons for viewing the happenings at the capitol... that's Pres. Bush on the screen That's the crowd forming at the Wash. Monu... about 1 1/2 mi. from the CapitolAbout 1 1/4 miles from the capitol... see the dome, a dot left of the flagWatching the former presidents arrive was pretty sweet, and standing in a crowd of pleasantly upbeat neighbors from across the nation was exciting. Disappointment came only as the majority of the audience booed at the departing President Bush. While there are arguable reasons for many to disagree with his choices and actions executed during his terms as president, I feel that we all owe him more respect and gratitude for what he has done for our country during some very difficult national challenges.

I look forward to what this new presidency will bring and hope that we can move forward with unity as a nation, appreciating what has been done in the past.

7 comments:

  1. I got it wrong that you didn't brave the crowds...you were RIGHT THERE....oh course you went! Thanks for the great report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were present when history was made!! That is awesome! Although there were many mixed feelings about this entire ordeal on Jan. 20, I enjoyed watching it on TV and would have loved being there (maybe-it was cold and I don't like cold:)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Jenni. I'm glad you went, it looked pretty exciting and you are SO adventurous to make it a running trip! WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you and your friend braved the crowds the "fun" way! I agree with you about Bush being booed. That would have upset me too. Wonder if this same crowd will be boo-ing Obama in the next 4 years??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are having so much fun and that you still respect Bush. I am applying to some schools over on the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I am glad that you travel by running!

    ReplyDelete